My mom, sister and I completed our 3 day, 60 mile walk for the Susan G. Koman foundation. It was one of the hardest but most rewarding experiences of my life. My feet are sore and I gained a few blisters. My muscles were worked like they never have been before. I didn't get the sleep I probably needed. But it was amazing!
To see over 2000 people, walking down the street...all for the same cause. To see the streets we walked down lined with with friends and family of the walkers but also complete strangers, neighbors and kids at the elementary schools...all cheering us on...telling us thank you for walking. Knowing that even as one person I was making a difference. That through my walking I was spreading the word about breast cancer and showing Phoenix and the world how many people this effects. That through the donations from all of you, together we contributed to the millions of dollars that were raised to go towards finding cure.
Hearing the stories over the weekend, stories of the man who was walking in memory of his wife, the stories of those walking for the heroes of this disease, even if they know no one with it, the stories of those walking for their grandmas, sisters, aunts, friends and even husband who have been diagnosed, the stories of those walking for their children...both those not diagnosed hoping that their child might never be but also those children already diagnosed. And the stories of those walking for their mom's...like Jenna and I. And those walking for others as well as themselves...like my mom. Who because of the affect of chemotherapy wasn't able to physically walk the whole way walked it in spirit and was still able to let her strength shine through. All of these stories were brought together and the result was awesome.
Alone we are one, but together we can accomplish the impossible, walking 60 miles AND finding a cure for breast cancer. Together we can show the rest of the world the need for breast cancer research, and together we can allow that research to happen and a cure to be found.
Thank you to all who donated! Thank you for all your words of encouragement. Thank you for your prayers...
And start saving your pennies!...I'm walking again next year!
pictures will come later, I took a disposable camera with me and I have to wait for those...
no instant gratification! but let me tell you, they are amazing!
12 comments:
Mauri what an amazing thing to do and experience!!!! Way to go!!!!!!
Cari
I was thinking about all 3 of you all weekend. I'm really glad that you had such an amazing experience.
Can't wait to hear all the stories...
I'm so proud of you guys! I called Dave a few times this weekend for updates. Good job! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.
I was waiting for a post from you! You three are awesome! I am glad it went so well, and touched so many! Can't wait to have you back here though, we miss you!
Way to go! I'm so glad you all had such a great time. Enjoy the rest of your time in AZ!
Congratulations! What a rewarding and amazing experience!
Way to go!! I bet it was just awesome!!
good job you guys! i saw pics on your moms blog. you guys are amazing and we love you!
Way to go!!! That is such a fantastic thing you all just did. Good for you!
I'm so proud of you!
That is awesome that you guys did that! My mom said that she saw you at the luch yesterday and that you look great. I told her that I wish that I could have been there to see everyone.
I am slow on the commenting, but I wanted to tell you how proud I am of you guys! You are an inspiration, Miss Mauri!
Post a Comment