Friday, October 10, 2008

It's days like this...

where I need to just take a minute, sit down, relax, get a handle on life, count my blessings, think about things I need to work on and apply that to today...
It was one of those days, full of joy, stress, decisions needing to be made, mood swings in a 3 of my children and just an overall feeling of overwhelmness. (which is a word, as of now)
Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I really can handle everything. And yet, I know where I can find my strength.

The hymn " Where Can I Turn for Peace" is one of my favorites.

1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,Searching my soul?
2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?He, only One.
3. He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane,
Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,Love without end.

This week Katelyn wanted to go up to Temple Square. I'm not sure if it was because she saw it on TV with conference or had just been thinking about it, but she asked when we could go and sit by the temple and eat a picnic. So the kids and I went. I know that the spirit of the temple is so special that even a child is able to recognize it and want to be near it.
It is that spirit that helps me through today, and everyday.
My mom had a Dr.s appointment today where he discussed the results of her PET scan. Thankfully they were not able to see any spread in the cancer since the last scan. However, with the tumor count in her blood still increasing it is obvious that her chemo treatment isn't working how it should be and it's time to move on to a new treatment. It is never certain how a person's body with respond to each type of treatment, and we are hoping that my mom's body will handle the new one like the champion that she is.
I know I don't always handle life the best that I can...whether it's my mom's fight against cancer, my expressive kids, a messy house, a disobedient dog or any other challenges. What I do know is that when I look to my Heavenly Father I am able to see what is important. I am able to refocus my priorities and know that through him I will be able to be with those I love forever. I pray that I will be able to teach the importance of that to my children.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow, I don't know how I missed this post before but somehow, I found it today when I'm feeling the same way. Just a pervading sense of "overwhelmedness". I've been feeling that way a lot recently and find my self searching for my strengh...hopefully soon I'll find it.

Dave and Julie said...

I'm so uplifted byyour sweet comments and really think you're awesome with all you're balancing...Mauri, you're my hero. Can't wait to see you! Love you